PIH Health’s volunteer team provides important assistance in our mission to nurture, advance, and protect the health and well-being of patients. In order to fully immerse our volunteers into teams that care for our patients and support the hospital’s work, we ask all volunteers meet our rigorous standards. We ask for your patience and understanding, and greatly appreciate your desire to help us support a safe and healthy environment for all of PIH Health’s families, patients, associates, and volunteers.
All Volunteers Must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be able to commit to a regularly scheduled shift once a week. Shifts are four hours
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service annually (Exceptions may be made for Adult episodic/special event volunteers)
- Be willing to do the job to the best of his or her ability
- Have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Be dependable in attendance, punctuality, and performance of duties
- Uphold the Code of Conduct and adhere to hospital rules and policies
- Support and promote the team concept and sense of cooperation
The volunteer is always a person who:
- Serves PIH HEALTH without remuneration
- Gives of self and time for the good and well-being of others
- Is an aide to the staff (under department management direction and supervision)
- Promotes the image of the hospital within the surrounding communities
- Promotes an understanding and appreciation of hospital goals, services, and needs
- Avoids disruption of operations, solicitation, and distribution of material (i.e., selling of products, handbills, literature, etc.) on the hospital’s property
The VALUES and COMPETENCIES that we look for in a volunteer are:
- Learning Agility
- Drive & Energy
- Respect, Dignity & Compassion
- Patient's First
- Emotional Intelligence
Before being accepted into the volunteer program, all applicants must have an interview with a member of our Volunteer Services team. If accepted as a volunteer, the applicant will be asked to:
- Provide proof of two negative TB tests in a 12-month period. If you have tested positive in the past, a proof of chest x-ray within a 12-month period. The TB tests are provided at the hospital free of charge.
- Background check for applicants over 18 years consisting of a Social Security Trace, Criminal Check, and Sexual Offender Trace. A California driver’s license background check will be requested for volunteers who drive a tram for the hospital. If the hospital does not receive a successful clearance of a volunteer applicant’s background check, the individual’s volunteer application will be withdrawn and the individual will not be cleared to volunteer.
- Attend an Orientation. The agenda includes general information about the hospital and the program, training information for areas of service, ethics, competencies, policies, and responsibilities.
- Once the volunteer has attended an orientation, they will be assigned to their volunteer shift and receive necessary training.